In Southwest Florida, we are currently seeing a trend toward coastal, West Indies, and Old Florida style architecture and design, moving away from the more ornate Mediterranean design that had previously dominated. Most of the luxury new construction I appraise favors including lots of indoor/outdoor living space. Common features include:
- outdoor kitchens with dining/entertaining space (built-in grills, mini fridges, wet bars, etc.)
- lanais (The only thing better than being able to sit outside is sitting outside and not being chomped on by mosquitoes!)
- in-ground pools with spas and decorative features such as waterfalls, fire bowls, built-in planters, and fountains.
- balconies, porches, patios, and sun decks.
- motorized screens and shutters that can hurricane proof your home in a hurry.
Though it’s not on our coast, the 2016 HGTV Dream Home is a superlative example of this coastal design trend that incorporates indoor/outdoor living.
When updating your home, keep your climate in mind: if you live in a subtropical paradise like Naples, it makes sense to include a way to enjoy that sunshine!